Parliament hails launch of Agni-V
New Delhi: Parliament today hailed the successful launch of the nuclear capable, 5000 km range Agni-V missile, which propelled India into an elite group of nations possessing such advanced technology.
The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha lauded defence scientists for their feat, which incidentally took place on the anniversary of the launch of India`s first satellite `Aryabhatta` into space.
"The surface-to-surface missile having a strike range of 5000 km is hailed as a major leap forward in India`s missile technology and military deterrent capabilities," Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said.
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Hamid Ansari congratulated scientists and engineers associated with the project
"They have made us feel proud by their remarkable achievement," Ansari said amid thumping of desks by members.
On April 12, India successfully test-fired Agni-V from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast.
With this, India has joined the elite and exclusive Long-Range Ballistic Missile (LRBM) club of select countries.
"The credit for this historic achievement undoubtedly goes to our scientific community particularly those working with DRDO," Ansari said.
Both the Houses also extended their good wishes to elected representatives of Panchayat and Panchayati Raj Institutions on `National Panchayati Raj Divas`, which falls today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack