Parliament not meant for disruptions: Pranab
Mumbai: Concerned over the washout of
Parliament this week, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said Parliament is not meant for "disruptions" and also
appealed to his "political colleagues" to keep aside politics
from major economic decisions.
Acknowledging there are problems of high inflation,
rupee depreciation, less than expected growth and difficulties
in maintaining fiscal deficit, Mukherjee also said "our
problems have to be solved by ourselves."
Mukherjee said he did not believe that there is any
sense of "despondency" in the country, noting there is no
"lack of cynics` in the country.
"Parliament is meant for passing laws. Parliament is
meant for discussions, debates, decisions. Parliament is never
meant for disruptions," he said at the ET Awards function
Mukherjee, who is the Leader of the Lok Sabha, also said
that if somebody wants to give this "disease" of disruptions
he would like to disagree with them.
"If somebody wants to give this disease, most
respectfully I would like to disagree with you and once the
institution starts functioning, I am quite confident that it
will get back confidence," he said.
Mukherjee said he was quite confident that Corporate
sectors will get back confidence.
"Corporate sectors will get back confidenc. Corporate
sectors, individuals, society as a whole will feel yes we can
do and I can assure that Government is determined to do...Let
us create that atmosphere," he added.
Proceedings in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha in the
first week of the Winter session that began on November 22
were paralysed over a host of issues including price rise,
black money, FDI in retain and separate Telangana.
"My appeal to political colleagues is that please keep
aside politics from the major economic decisions." he said.
Parliament was paralysed yesterday over the issue of opening
up the retail sector for FDI retail with key UPA ally
Trinamool and almost the entire Opposition coming together.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months