Parliament observes two-minute silence to remember 26/11 victims
New Delhi: Parliament today remembered those
killed in the terror strike in Mumbai on this day last year
with the Lok Sabha resolving to unitedly fight and defeat the
forces of terrorism which pose the "gravest threat to
The first anniversary of 26/11 terror attack saw Chairman
Hamid Ansari making a reference in the Rajya Sabha, saying the
"indomitable spirit of humankind cannot be subdued by such
senseless acts of violence."
Members in both Houses stood in silence for a minute in
memory of those killed.
"The House salutes the indomitable courage of the security
forces who gave a crushing blow to the terrorists on November
26, 2008 and the fortitude of the people of Mumbai," the
The Lower House also asked the government to take all
necessary steps to "wipe out the scourge of terrorism from our
"On this day the House resolves that we will unitedly
fight and defeat the forces of terrorism and never again allow
them to spill the blood of innocent people," Kumar said.
In the Rajya Sabha, the Chairman recalled the way Mumbai
quickly attained normalcy after the terrorist attack. This
"speaks volumes for the resolve of our people to confront and
defeat the evil designs of those wishing to destabilise the
nation and disrupt its progress," he said.
Noting that terrorism has no justification whatsoever in
a civilised world, Kumar said it was the duty of every
country, which wanted to see peace and progress, to resist and
defeat these "dark forces of terrorism".
"Realising the global network of terrorists and their
unlimited resources, sophisticated arms and training and their
diabolic mindset, there is an urgent need to mobilise the
resources and coordinate action by all countries to track down
and eliminate these enemies of mankind," she said.
The Lok Sabha, she said, is the of the firm view that with
strong will and determined action, "we will be able to
effectively counter terrorism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Donald Trump tweets video, accuses Hillary Clinton of telling many lies on emails
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates first phase of SAUNI project in Jamnagar
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow