Parliament observes two-minute silence to remember 26/11 victims
New Delhi: Parliament today remembered those
killed in the terror strike in Mumbai on this day last year
with the Lok Sabha resolving to unitedly fight and defeat the
forces of terrorism which pose the "gravest threat to
The first anniversary of 26/11 terror attack saw Chairman
Hamid Ansari making a reference in the Rajya Sabha, saying the
"indomitable spirit of humankind cannot be subdued by such
senseless acts of violence."
Members in both Houses stood in silence for a minute in
memory of those killed.
"The House salutes the indomitable courage of the security
forces who gave a crushing blow to the terrorists on November
26, 2008 and the fortitude of the people of Mumbai," the
The Lower House also asked the government to take all
necessary steps to "wipe out the scourge of terrorism from our
"On this day the House resolves that we will unitedly
fight and defeat the forces of terrorism and never again allow
them to spill the blood of innocent people," Kumar said.
In the Rajya Sabha, the Chairman recalled the way Mumbai
quickly attained normalcy after the terrorist attack. This
"speaks volumes for the resolve of our people to confront and
defeat the evil designs of those wishing to destabilise the
nation and disrupt its progress," he said.
Noting that terrorism has no justification whatsoever in
a civilised world, Kumar said it was the duty of every
country, which wanted to see peace and progress, to resist and
defeat these "dark forces of terrorism".
"Realising the global network of terrorists and their
unlimited resources, sophisticated arms and training and their
diabolic mindset, there is an urgent need to mobilise the
resources and coordinate action by all countries to track down
and eliminate these enemies of mankind," she said.
The Lok Sabha, she said, is the of the firm view that with
strong will and determined action, "we will be able to
effectively counter terrorism".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed