Parliament paralysed again, Opposition for PM`s resignation
New Delhi: With a series of scams battering the government, Parliament was paralysed again on Monday as an aggressive Opposition demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union ministers PK Bansal and Ashwani Kumar.
Meeting in the backdrop of Congress rejecting the demand for resignation of the Railway Minister and the Law Minister, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha saw two adjournments before lunch break.
Parliament has not been able to function since the second phase of the Budget session started on April 22.
Disorder was the order of the day as the two Houses assembled at 11 am after a weekend break during which Bansal came under a cloud after the arrest of his nephew by CBI on bribery charges in connection with a plum posting in Railways.
The twin issues of coal scam and allegations of bribery in connection with senior-level postings in the Railways took prominence as BJP and Left members stormed into the Well in Lok Sabha and BJP in Rajya Sabha.
The protests were more marked as the proceedings were held close on the heels of the CBI Director admitting before the Supreme Court that certain changes were made in the coalgate draft report on suggestions given by Kumar and officials of the PMO.
Akali Dal members also forcefully raised the issue of the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case and demanded setting up of a Supreme Court-monitored Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe allegations against him afresh.
SP members in Lok Sabha raised the issue of immediate implementation of the Sachar Committee recommendations for welfare of Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow