Parliament resolves to uphold, maintain dignity
New Delhi: Parliament on Sunday resolved to uphold and maintain its dignity, sanctity and supremacy to make it an effective instrument of change and strengthen the democratic values and principles.
Members of both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha also resolved to enhance the accountability of Government towards people through Parliament`s oversight and rededicate themselves in the sacred task of nation building.
The resolution, climaxing the day-long debate marking the 60th anniversary of the first sitting of Parliament, moved by Speaker Meira Kumar and Chairman Hamid Ansari, was adopted unanimously by members by voice vote.
"We, the members...Do hereby solemnly reaffirm our total and abiding commitment to the ideals cherished by our founding fathers, and resolve:
A) to uphold and maintain the dignity, sanctity and supremacy of Parliament;
B) to make Parliament an effective instrument of change and to strengthen democratic values and principles;
C) to enhance the accountability of the Government towards the people through the oversight of Parliament, and;
D) to rededicate ourselves completely to the sacred task of Nation Building," the resolution read.
The two Houses recalled the immense sacrifices made by freedom fighters in the nation`s struggle for independence and the stellar role played by the founding fathers of the Constitution in mandating equality, fraternity, justice, brotherhood of mankind and the uplift of under-privileged and down-trodden sections of society.
Members also acknowledged with satisfaction and pride the maturity of the people of India who have cherished the democratic values and worked ceaselessly for the unity and integrity of the nation.
They also noted that in the last 60 years, Parliament had through epoch-making laws, taken decisive steps towards ensuring equity and justice in all matters for establishing an inclusive society in pursuance of the deep faith and commitment to ideals enshrined in the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof