Parliament to be adjourned Monday as tribute to IK Gujral
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament will be adjourned for the day Monday after paying tributes to former prime minister Inder Kumar Gujral, who died Nov 30.
"Both houses will pay tributes to the former prime minister and will be adjourned for the day on Monday as a mark of respect to him," Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla told a news agency.
Gujral breathed his last at a private hospital in Gurgaon, Haryana, Friday. He was 92.
He was cremated Saturday in Delhi with full state honours in the presence of the country`s top leadership, including President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He is survived by two sons, Naresh and Vishal, and brother Satish Gujral, a prominent painter and architect. His wife Sheila died in 2011.
Smriti Sthal, where the cremation took place, is located between Jawaharlal Nehru`s `samadhi` Shanti Van and Lal Bahadur Shastri`s `samadhi` Vijay Ghat.
Diplomats from various countries, including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Singapore and Russia, were also present at the cremation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian