Parliamentary panel applauds new bill to eliminate manual scavenging
New Delhi: A Parliamentary committee has applauded a new bill that seeks to eliminate manual scavenging and insanitary latrines while providing for rehabilitation of people involved in the practice.
"The committee welcomes the laudable objects of the new bill. The committee is optimistic that the new act and rules to be framed there under would be implemented with utmost sincerity and with a sense of purpose so that the new legislation attains its intended objectives within the given time frame," the Parliamentary Standing on Social Justice and Empowerment said in its report.
The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill 2012 was introduced in Lok Sabha on September 9, 2012.
The committee also noted that while some state governments have reportedly filed affidavits in the Supreme Court claiming that there were no insanitary latrines or manual scavengers in their state, the 2011 Census has reported 26 lakh such toilets in the country.
It also noted that under the new legislation, a "great responsibility" devolves on the Ministry of Railways so far as manual scavenging is concerned.
"There are reportedly about 7114 mail/express/ordinary trains which have direct discharge or controlled discharge system type of toilets," the report said.
The Committee has been informed that the Railways have started constructing concrete washable aprons under the railway tracks at important stations so that the safai karamcharis can clean the track with high pressure water jet cleaning system, instead of doing manually, it added.
On allocation of money, the committee noted that funds for environment friendly toilets during the last five years was "either nil of very low" with an allocation of only Rs 2,53,13,480 in 2011-12.
"Ministry of Railways should seek more allocation of funds for conversion of all toilets into bio-toilets in the 12th Five Year Plan itself for completely eliminating all direct discharge toilets to escape penalty under the Act," it said.
Noting that funds under various scheme should be allocated by the Planning Commission in 2013-14, the committee said the state governments should also be sensitised about the schemes since manual cleaning of septic tanks and sewers is banned in the bill.
The committee also strongly opined that the central government should finance the entire project of demolition of insanitary latrines and construction of sanitary ones.
"Money should not be a constraint for eradicating such a pernicious practise which is a blot of human dignity and a matter of shame for the entire nation," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in