Parliamentary panel on home receives Justice Verma
New Delhi: Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs M Venkaiah Naidu on Monday said the panel had received the report of the Justice Verma committee on enhancing punishment for crimes against women and will finalise its recommendations after getting views of the government.
Naidu, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP, said the committee was keen to finalise its recommendations before the budget session of parliament expected to commence in the second half of February.
The report was on Monday circulated among the panel members.
Naidu said the Home Ministry had informed them that it needs some more time to give its response to the recommendations made by the Justice Verma panel.
"We are awaiting response of the government. They have not given response and want some time to study and then get back to the committee," Naidu said.
The next meeting of the panel had been called February 04 and the panel was keen to finalise its recommendations before the budget session, he added.
Informed sources said the criminal amendment bill was under consideration of the standing committee and the government was expected to give its response by suggesting some amendments to the bill.
The Justice JS Verma panel, constituted by the government last month to review laws to provide for speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault, submitted its report to the government last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead