Parliament`s disruption `match-fixing` by government, BJP: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M Tuesday termed as meaningless the demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation over the coal allocation issue and said the disruption of parliament was "match fixing" between the BJP and Congress.
"In the garb of PM`s resignation demand, you are allowing the government a free hand to do whatever they want. This is one kind of match-fixing between BJP and the Congress," Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
"Demanding the resignation is meaningless and it does not happen," he said.
"Parliament is not functioning, no debate is taking place and there is no accountability. A match-fixing is going on which is helping the government to avoid debate. We want the government to be accountable to parliament," said Yechury.
He said the observations made by the Supreme Court on the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) coal scam affidavit vetted by Law Minister Ashwani Kumar has "only vindicated what we are saying all along that the CBI is becoming a political arm of the government of the day and that is not in the interest of the country".
"We are for an independent panel of advocates for the CBI," he said, adding: "It should be independent of the government and that is why we are suggesting that the panel of lawyers that CBI should have be independent of the government."
Parliament has remained paralysed since April 22, when it met for the second half of the budget session after a month-long recess.
The BJP had Monday said it would allow the Finance Bill 2013-14 to be passed in the Lok Sabha Tuesday as it did not want a "constitutional crisis".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH