Parliament`s Monsoon Session extended to September 6
New Delhi: To make up for time lost due to disruptions, government on Monday decided to extend the Monsoon Session of Parliament till September 6 and hopes to pass key Bills relating to food security, economic reforms and land acquisiton.
The Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs took the decision to extend the session till September 6 at a meeting held in Parliament House here today.
The monsoon session, which began on August, 5 was scheduled to end on August 31.
Government took the decision today as virtually no business was transacted in the Lok Sabha till August 24 due to disruptions and adjournments caused by protests from TDP and Congress members from Andhra Pradesh against the announcement to form Telangana.
Four TDP and eight Congress MPs from Andhra Pradesh were suspended for five days from the Lok Sabha by Speaker Meira Kumar on August 23 for disrupting proceedings.
Three Bills were passed by the Lok Sabha last Saturday and the key Food Security Bill was taken up today.
Government is hopeful of getting Parliament`s nod to the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill, 2011, Land Acquisition Bill and other legislations.
The UPA dispensation is still hopeful of convincing main opposition BJP on the Insurance Bill.
On the government agenda is also the Judicial Appointments Commission Bill, and two Bills on Civil Aviation.
The Rajya Sabha has functioned normally on most days and transacted business. Several pending Bills were passed in the Upper House in this session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened