Parl`s anniv, a moment for introspection: Speaker
New Delhi: Terming the 60th anniversary of Parliament`s first session as a milestone, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Sunday said it was an occasion for members to introspect and think about the future.
"This is a moment for introspection and analyse the challenges ahead," Kumar said making an observation before a discussion on 60 years of Indian Parliament at a special sitting.
Parliament has adapted to changing times, Kumar said adding that it has enacted 3,400 progressive laws and more than 500 legislations to empower the deprived and for overall development.
She noted that three joint sittings of Parliament were called for considering the Dowry Prohibition Bill, Banking Services Commission (Repeal) Bill and Prevention of Terrorism Bill.
The Speaker said people deserved the real credit for success of democracy as it is their enthusiastic participation in elections that has kept the institution of Parliament alive. "The belief of the people of India in democratic values is the foundation of our Parliamentary system," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma