Parl`s anniv, a moment for introspection: Speaker
New Delhi: Terming the 60th anniversary of Parliament`s first session as a milestone, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Sunday said it was an occasion for members to introspect and think about the future.
"This is a moment for introspection and analyse the challenges ahead," Kumar said making an observation before a discussion on 60 years of Indian Parliament at a special sitting.
Parliament has adapted to changing times, Kumar said adding that it has enacted 3,400 progressive laws and more than 500 legislations to empower the deprived and for overall development.
She noted that three joint sittings of Parliament were called for considering the Dowry Prohibition Bill, Banking Services Commission (Repeal) Bill and Prevention of Terrorism Bill.
The Speaker said people deserved the real credit for success of democracy as it is their enthusiastic participation in elections that has kept the institution of Parliament alive. "The belief of the people of India in democratic values is the foundation of our Parliamentary system," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand