Parnaik takes over as chief of Northern Command
Jammu: Lieutenant General KT Parnaik on Saturday
took over as General Officer Commanding-in-chief of the Army`s Northern Command, a defence spokesman said.
Parnaik succeeds Lt Gen BS Jaswal who retired on Friday.
The new command chief was received at Bikram Park Helipad
at Udhampur, 65 kms from here, by Lt Gen Jasbir Singh, Chief
of Staff at Northern Command, which guards the frontier with
Pakistan, PoK and China.
After his arrival, Parnaik laid a wreath at the Dhruva
Saheed Samark and met officers posted in the command
headquarters, the spokesman said.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla, Parnaik was commissioned into the 2 Rajputana Rifles on 31 March, 1972, and earned experience in both command and staff appointments. He is known for his expertise in counter-insurgency and high altitude warfare.
Parnaik has been awarded the Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card twice for his distinguished service in
north-eastern sector and Yudh Seva Medal in 2003 for his
exemplary conduct while in command of an infantry brigade
during Operation Parakaram along LoC. He is also a recipient
of gallantry award `Uttam Yudh Seva Medal`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS