Parnaik takes over as chief of Northern Command
Jammu: Lieutenant General KT Parnaik on Saturday
took over as General Officer Commanding-in-chief of the Army`s Northern Command, a defence spokesman said.
Parnaik succeeds Lt Gen BS Jaswal who retired on Friday.
The new command chief was received at Bikram Park Helipad
at Udhampur, 65 kms from here, by Lt Gen Jasbir Singh, Chief
of Staff at Northern Command, which guards the frontier with
Pakistan, PoK and China.
After his arrival, Parnaik laid a wreath at the Dhruva
Saheed Samark and met officers posted in the command
headquarters, the spokesman said.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla, Parnaik was commissioned into the 2 Rajputana Rifles on 31 March, 1972, and earned experience in both command and staff appointments. He is known for his expertise in counter-insurgency and high altitude warfare.
Parnaik has been awarded the Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card twice for his distinguished service in
north-eastern sector and Yudh Seva Medal in 2003 for his
exemplary conduct while in command of an infantry brigade
during Operation Parakaram along LoC. He is also a recipient
of gallantry award `Uttam Yudh Seva Medal`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi