Parnaik takes over as chief of Northern Command
Jammu: Lieutenant General KT Parnaik on Saturday
took over as General Officer Commanding-in-chief of the Army`s Northern Command, a defence spokesman said.
Parnaik succeeds Lt Gen BS Jaswal who retired on Friday.
The new command chief was received at Bikram Park Helipad
at Udhampur, 65 kms from here, by Lt Gen Jasbir Singh, Chief
of Staff at Northern Command, which guards the frontier with
Pakistan, PoK and China.
After his arrival, Parnaik laid a wreath at the Dhruva
Saheed Samark and met officers posted in the command
headquarters, the spokesman said.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla, Parnaik was commissioned into the 2 Rajputana Rifles on 31 March, 1972, and earned experience in both command and staff appointments. He is known for his expertise in counter-insurgency and high altitude warfare.
Parnaik has been awarded the Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card twice for his distinguished service in
north-eastern sector and Yudh Seva Medal in 2003 for his
exemplary conduct while in command of an infantry brigade
during Operation Parakaram along LoC. He is also a recipient
of gallantry award `Uttam Yudh Seva Medal`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured