Parties confused over emergence of Third Front: Sangma
Jabalpur: National People`s Party president and former Lok Sabha speaker, PA Sangma has said that confusion prevails among political parties at national level over the emergence of non-Congress, non-BJP alternative for 2014 elections.
"There is a state of political confusion at national level. Congress is getting weak everyday at the Centre but BJP is not gaining from this situation," Sangma said while responding to a query on the possibility of Third Front for the upcoming general elections.
Sangma visited the city yesterday to take part in a programme organised by his party, NPP.
Sangma, who had resigned from NCP over the party`s refusal to support his candidature for Presidential election, said NPP would forge ties with local tribal parties in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh going to Assembly polls later this year.
"Tribals are being neglected both by Congress and BJP", the Garo leader said while appealing to tribals across the country to come together for their rights.
Sangma said that major political parties were taking advantage of the lack of unity among tribals in the country.
"Tribals are scattered and they do not have a common political platform or organisation and major parties are taking advantage of this situation", he said.
Sangma, himself a tribal, said 47 seats in Lok Sabha and 529 seats in various state Assemblies were reserved for tribals.
"However, as tribals are not united and are members of numerous political parties, their leaders are not getting due importance in political parties," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says