Parties seek early electoral reforms, favour EVMs paper trail
New Delhi: Amid concerns over growing use of money power, majority of political parties on Friday demanded early introduction of electoral reforms to curb black money in funding of elections and banning candidates with criminal background from contesting polls.
They also favoured introduction of paper trail of EVMs and demanded that the electoral reform be introduced in the next general elections.
At an all-party meeting convened by the Election Commission here, representatives of various political parties sought a ban on opinion polls carried in various media.
Raising concerns over the "inaction" in bringing key electoral reforms, they demanded convening of a separate meeting to discuss the measures.
At today`s meeting to discuss the paper trail of votes through EVMs, some parties raised concerns on the quality of paper used and its printing so that it could last a few years in case of a dispute or court case.
Questioning the use of thermal paper for printing of paper trail of votes, the parties demanded that the printing and paper be improved further for preservation of such record in case of any dispute.
Various parties suggested that the measure be introduced soonest in a bypoll and later in a complete election after bringing some improvisation in the measure.
While Congress wanted further improvement in paper trail of EVMs, BJP demanded that it be introduced in next general election. Top election officials told PTI that after improvements in printing and paper, paper trail of votes "can be introduced in the next six to eight months".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!