Parties seek early electoral reforms, favour EVMs paper trail
New Delhi: Amid concerns over growing use of money power, majority of political parties on Friday demanded early introduction of electoral reforms to curb black money in funding of elections and banning candidates with criminal background from contesting polls.
They also favoured introduction of paper trail of EVMs and demanded that the electoral reform be introduced in the next general elections.
At an all-party meeting convened by the Election Commission here, representatives of various political parties sought a ban on opinion polls carried in various media.
Raising concerns over the "inaction" in bringing key electoral reforms, they demanded convening of a separate meeting to discuss the measures.
At today`s meeting to discuss the paper trail of votes through EVMs, some parties raised concerns on the quality of paper used and its printing so that it could last a few years in case of a dispute or court case.
Questioning the use of thermal paper for printing of paper trail of votes, the parties demanded that the printing and paper be improved further for preservation of such record in case of any dispute.
Various parties suggested that the measure be introduced soonest in a bypoll and later in a complete election after bringing some improvisation in the measure.
While Congress wanted further improvement in paper trail of EVMs, BJP demanded that it be introduced in next general election. Top election officials told PTI that after improvements in printing and paper, paper trail of votes "can be introduced in the next six to eight months".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack