Parties want all-out efforts to stamp out Maoist menace
New Delhi: Parties across the political
spectrum Monday said the Maoist killings in Dantewada district
in Chhatisgarh exposed the "barbarity" of Naxal movement and
called for all-out efforts to neutralise the threat.
"Naxals are a threat to Indian democracy. India cannot be
seen as a soft state and this menace has to be fought in a
comprehensive manner," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman,
whose party rules Chhattisgarh, said.
She said it was a "very grave day" for Indian democracy
as the country was facing an armed group which does not
recognise the Indian Constitution.
Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said "the attack is
reprehensible and abhorrent, to say the least. It exposes the
barbarity of the Maoist-Naxalite movement".
He said the killing of innocent civilians is also a
manifestation of their frustration and "every such cowardly
attack only stiffens our resolve to neutralise the Maoists
through a robust security system."
CPI(M) politbuto member Sitaram Yechury said the incident
took place despite government assurances that all efforts will
be made to prevent such attacks from recurring.
"The government should immediately make all-out efforts
to safeguard innocent lives and re-establish the rule of civic
administration in these areas," he said.
Sitharaman said "we have to look at it not only from the
law and order or security point of view but also in terms of
development and ideological differences as they do not
believe in the constitution".
The BJP leader said Maoists ruled the roost in several
districts and it is important to reclaim these districts.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Recovery across key sectors 'surprisingly strong': Nomura
- Took liberty to up entertainment quotient in 'Azhar': Emraan Hashmi
- PHOTO: Vintage Sachin! When Master Blaster turned out for Yorkshire
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal dares BJP to arrest Congress chief Sonia Gandhi
- VITEEE 2016 exam results declared! Check VIT Engineering Entrance Examination ranks now