This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Party over, Manu Sharma returns to Tihar Jail

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 15:53

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Apparently, in view of the furore created after being caught partying while on parole, Manu Sharma, convicted for the murder of model Jessica Lall, surrendered before the Delhi Police on Tuesday.

Manu surrendered in front of the superintendent of Tihar Jail at around 11.30 am. His parole was to, otherwise, end on November 22.
"However, the decision on cancelling his parole has not been taken yet," a jail official said.

Manu is undergoing life imprisonment for murder of Lall in 1999, Sharma was granted parole on the ground that his mother was seriously ill and he had to attend to family business matters.

His parole was extended Oct 22 for 30 more days on Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s recommendation to Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna.

Last Friday, however, Sharma went partying in Delhi, clearly flouting the parole rules which had put a ban on his venturing out of his hometown Chandigarh. Sharma is the son of a Congress politician from Haryana.

On top of that, on Saturday, his mother Shakti Rani looked hale and hearty when she was seen at the family-run Piccadilly Hotel in Chandigarh, holding a press conference about a women`s cricket tournament.

Delhi Chief Minister, facing flak for approving the parole of Manu, has now said that the police will now probe whether he had flouted his parole rules.
Interestingly, the PRO of the Tihar Jail was quoted as saying that his parents are not aware of the surrender.

Incidentally, his surrender came within hours of Delhi government seeking a report from the police regarding Manu’s presence at an exclusive lounge bar on the intervening night of November 6-7.

Manu was reportedly present at nightclub ‘LAP’ when the police raided the nightclub in the wee hours of Friday-Saturday.

The LAP at Samrat Hotel is owned and managed jointly by filmstar Arjun Rampal, The Park group of hotels and restaurateur AD Singh, and is located close to 7, Race Course Road.

Infact, Rampal has now come out in the open and claimed that Manu was indeed present at his bar. He reportedly slipped out of the rear exit to escape the police.

During the raid the police had also detained two businessmen - Samir Thapar, vice president and managing director of JCT Ltd, and Sahil Dhingra, the son of the Orient Crafts owner. Police officials confirmed the preventive arrests and said four of Dhingra`s armed bodyguards were held for creating "a ruckus" at the bar.

According to eyewitnesses, the police reached the LAP after Dhingra picked up a fight with a senior police officer`s son in the adjoining Ashok Hotel`s F Bar.

The Supreme Court had last year rejected Sharma’s bail plea. A bench headed by Justice CK Thakker had ruled, "Keeping in view the seriousness of offence, the manner in which the crime was said to have been committed and the gravity of offence, we are of the view that no case has been made out by the applicant appellant for suspension of sentence and grant of bail."

First Published: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 15:53
comments powered by Disqus