Pass key Bills in Parl session: Rights activists to Rahul
New Delhi: Civil rights activists on Tuesday staged a dharna outside the Congress office here pressing for the passage of the Whistle Blowers Protection Bill and the Grievance Redressal Bill with certain amendments in the upcoming Parliament session which begins on Wednesday.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi later met National Campaign for People`s Right to Information (NCPRI) workers and the families of whistleblowers from across the country and assured them that his party was committed to the passage of the above Bills.
According to an NCPRI release, Gandhi told them that the Parliament was not being allowed to function and that was the reason why the Bills were not being taken up.
"He (Gandhi) said he understood that without these Bills, the framework for transparency and accountability would remain incomplete.
"He said that RTI users are information warriors and that Congress will try and ensure that people are empowered and their safety assured through the (passage of) the Bills," the release said.
"We also suggested (introduction) of an ordinance in case the two Bills do not get tabled in Parliament, to which Gandhi seemed supportive," said Shekhar Singh of NCPRI.
Terming them "key" for fighting corruption, the activists demanded inclusion of several amendments before the two Bills were passed by Parliament.
"The introduction of the Grievance Redressal Bill in Parliament in December, 2011, was a positive step. However, some lacunae need to be addressed in order to ensure effective and timely redress of grievances," said Anjali Bhardwaj, co-convener, NCPRI.
They said that the above Bill in its current form does not include setting up of a designated authority at the district level to ensure a decentralised appellate mechanism.
Activists also demanded expansion of the definition of victimisation of the whistleblower as one of the crucial amendments in the Whistle Blowers Protection Bill.
"More than 40 whistleblowers have been killed for exposing corruption. It is crucial that the Bill gets passed in this session with amendments for the setting up of a stipulated timeframe, inclusion of private sector, penalty for victimisation and compensation for victims," Bhardwaj said.
The activists said they will also hold a demonstration in front of the BJP office to demand the party`s support for the smooth passage of the two Bills, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe