Passage of Lokpal bill set to be delayed further
New Delhi: The passage of the Lokpal bill is set to be delayed further with a Parliamentary committee examining the legislation likely to seek an extension till the beginning of the Winter session of Parliament.
The Rajya Select Committee on Lokpal/Lokayukta Bill which met on Thursday is learnt to have decided to seek an extension of its term to complete the examination of the measure.
The term of the panel ends on September 3 and it is likely to move a resolution in the Upper House seeking an extension till the first week of the Winter session.
The resolution could be moved tomorrow itself, but much would depend on the functioning of the House, sources said referring to daily disruptions.
The bill which was been passed in the Lok Sabha, was referred to the Select committee of the Rajya Sabha in May this year as consensus eluded on its various provisions.
Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy, who had tabled the bill in the Rajya Sabha, had expressed the hope that the panel would finalise its recommendations by the last week of the Monsoon session.
After its constitution, the committee has heard depositions from the Ministry of Personnel, the Law Ministry, the Attorney General and several NGOs and individuals.
The bill that has failed to become a law since it was first introduced in 1968.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers