Passage of Lokpal bill set to be delayed further
New Delhi: The passage of the Lokpal bill is set to be delayed further with a Parliamentary committee examining the legislation likely to seek an extension till the beginning of the Winter session of Parliament.
The Rajya Select Committee on Lokpal/Lokayukta Bill which met on Thursday is learnt to have decided to seek an extension of its term to complete the examination of the measure.
The term of the panel ends on September 3 and it is likely to move a resolution in the Upper House seeking an extension till the first week of the Winter session.
The resolution could be moved tomorrow itself, but much would depend on the functioning of the House, sources said referring to daily disruptions.
The bill which was been passed in the Lok Sabha, was referred to the Select committee of the Rajya Sabha in May this year as consensus eluded on its various provisions.
Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy, who had tabled the bill in the Rajya Sabha, had expressed the hope that the panel would finalise its recommendations by the last week of the Monsoon session.
After its constitution, the committee has heard depositions from the Ministry of Personnel, the Law Ministry, the Attorney General and several NGOs and individuals.
The bill that has failed to become a law since it was first introduced in 1968.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!