Passport compulsory for Haj pilgrims: Tharoor
Thiruvananthapuram: Minister of State for
External Affairs Shashi Tharoor on Monday wanted those planning to
go for Haj to apply for passports as Saudi Arabia government
had this time made it compulsory that only persons with valid
travel documents would be allowed.
Earlier, Haj pilgrims used to go to Saudi Arabia with a
special pilgrims permit, but this time, passport has been made
compulsory along with a vaccination certificate against viral
fever, Tharoor told reporters after a meeting of passport
officers of southern and western regions here.
Out of the 1.10 lakh persons already selected for
performing Haj by various state haj committees, only 20,000
persons have applied for passports.
Though, the last date for receiving the applications for
`Special Passports for Haj pilgrims` expired on July 31,
Tharoor asked those who have not submitted applications to do
so at the earliest. The special passport is valid for eight
The Saudi government had this time discouraged persons
above the age of 65, children below 12 years and pregnant
women from undertaking Haj pilgrimage, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata