Passport offices to remain open this weekend
New Delhi: Amid reports of delays in online applications of passports and the growing logjam, the External Affairs Ministry Friday announced that passport offices in Delhi, Ghaziabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Lucknow and Amritisar will be open Saturday and Sunday.
The ministry also defended what it called the citizen-centric online application system and said it has successfully completed setting up and operationalisation of 77 Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) in the country.
"In order to address unprecedented demand for Passport services during these months, the Ministry of External Affairs has decided to open Regional Passport Offices, including Passport Seva Kendras under their jurisdiction (Delhi, Ghaziabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Lucknow and Amritisar), on June 23 and 24," the ministry said.
The applications for all passport related services "other than tatkaal" shall be accepted during the `Passport Mela`, said the ministry.
Taking note of reports in the media about applicants being fleeced by touts and middlemen for uploading applications and arranging appointments, the ministry clarified that the appointment system has been introduced in keeping with the objective of making government services accessible to the common man through common service delivery outlets.
The process is aimed at ensuring efficiency, transparency and reliability of such services at affordable costs, it said.
The ministry said it is improving governance in passport offices by focussing on citizen-centricity, service orientation and transparency.
The online application and appointment system at the PSKs was aimed at cutting down waiting time for the applicants, but the system has not worked for hundreds of applicanats due to technical glitches and other factors.
Under the new system, if appointments are not available and the passport is required urgently, walk-in facility can be allowed by the concerned regional passport officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes