Paswan asks Dalits to rise above party lines, press for quota
New Delhi: Rising above the party lines, Dalits should unite to pressurise the government to implement reservation in promotions and private companies and enact the Reservation Bill and include it in ninth schedule, Lok Janshakti Party president Ram Bilas Paswan said on Monday.
Addressing a rally of All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations here, he said Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati and Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav should forget their fight and work for Dalit community.
"Due to their fight, failure of Uttar Pradesh government to file the case of reservation in promotions in government jobs as asked by the Allahabad High Court led to missing the opportunity," Paswan said.
Hundreds of people from different states had gathered at the Ramlila Maidan and took out the rally to Jantar Mantar.
National Chairman of the Confederation Udit Raj said there was no reservation in sectors like business, trade, industry, agriculture and other vocations and it was only government jobs and in politics.
"Reservations in government jobs and politics are the
only means for the development of the SC/ST community. Legislatures, be it Parliament or state Assemblies, are considerate to make a law to give representation in government jobs," he said.
The Supreme Court "erred" in imposing riders like inadequacy of representation, backwardness and efficiency, Raj alleged.
Currently, there are 149 Secretaries in Government of India and none of them is from SC category, Raj said.
He said since the number of jobs in government sector was coming down due to privatisation and there is no reservations, so Dalits were affected.
Raj also demanded urgent passage of the Reservation Bill, which was introduced in Rajya Sabha in 2004, to make the reservation a law.
"We demand the government should pass the Bill in the current session (of Parliament) itself," he said, adding also "we oppose contract system for hiring of `safai` workers".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report