Paswan for free education for SC, STs upto PG level
New Delhi: LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan on Monday
demanded that the government should provide free and
compulsory education to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe
students upto post-graduate level instead of till eighth
standard as prescribed in the Right to Education Act.
"We welcome the new education policy of the government
and the (Right to Education) Act which seeks to provide free
and compulsory education to children in the age group of six
to 14 years," Paswan said at a press meet organised by the
National Dalit Front here.
"But we demand that SC and ST children be provided free
and compulsory education from kindergarten to post-graduate
level. They should be provided free food, free books and free
clothes," he added.
He said that this should have been done for children
belonging to all weaker and disadvantaged sections "but if it
is not possible, at least free and compulsory education be
provided to SC and ST students upto post-graduate level."
Paswan said there is opposition from various quarters
with respect to the arrival of foreign universities in India
but "our concern" is about students from SC, ST and weaker
"We demand that 50 per cent seats be reserved in such
foreign universities and also in Indian schools and colleges
to provide free and compulsory education to students belonging
to SC, ST communities and economically weaker sections," he
Government is set to introduce a bill in Parliament to
allow entry and operation of foreign universities in India.
He said that these issues figured in the meeting of the
National Dalit Front in which was attended by CPI leader D
Raja and leaders from other political parties including
Congress and BJP.
Paswan also announced that the Front will stage a
demonstration near Parliament on August 13 to press their
11-point demand which will include reservation to SCs and STs
in private sector jobs and higher judiciary, allocation of
land to landless and immediate implementation of Bhuria
Committee recommendations on tribals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon