Paswan supports autonomy for Kashmir
Patna: LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan on Thursday
said he favoured autonomy for Kashmir and withdrawal of the
Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the region.
"There is no doubt that Kashmir is an integral part of
India, but if it is possible within the frameworks of the
Constitution, Jammu and Kashmir should be given autonomy,"
Paswan, who was a member of the all-party delegation to the
state, told reporters here.
Paswan, who met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali
Shah Geelani and JKLF leader Yasin Malik on September 20 and
September 21, also demanded that the Armed Forces Special
Powers Act (AFSPA) be withdrawn.
Steps should be taken for holding talks with leaders
within the constitutional framework, he said.
"Separatist leaders should be taken into confidence
and invited for talks unconditionally and those jailed during
the period should be released unconditionally," Paswan said.
He urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to concede the
recommendations of the all-party delegates and try to
implement programmes for the people there in a time-bound
Claiming that the 110 killed during the unrest since
June in the valley were `innocent civilians`, he called for a
high-level probe into the killing of youths and children in a
series of firings since June 11.
He also demanded that the government should pay
compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the bereaved families and
provide a government job to an eligible member from each
Stating that curfew should not continue for days, he
said "people have a common complaint about being harassed and
insulted by security personnel who have their bunkers at
He suggested that educational institutions, medicine
shops and essential services be kept out of the purview of
Immediate steps, he said, should be taken for opening
of educational institutions, hospitals and essential services.
Stating that he felt that unemployment was a big issue
and should be sorted out, he said efforts would have to be
made to instil confidence among the people.
"The visit of the all party delegation has given a ray
of hope to the people," Paswan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Development replaces fear in Jeeram Ghati in Chhattisgarh's Bastar district post 2013 Naxal attack
- Trains being searched at Mathura Railway Station post bomb threat call
- I had a vision of scoring the winning goal: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Revealed: What RCB, SRH players did on the night before IPL final!
- Housing.Com to achieve $10 million revenue this fiscal