Paswan supports autonomy for Kashmir
Patna: LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan on Thursday
said he favoured autonomy for Kashmir and withdrawal of the
Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the region.
"There is no doubt that Kashmir is an integral part of
India, but if it is possible within the frameworks of the
Constitution, Jammu and Kashmir should be given autonomy,"
Paswan, who was a member of the all-party delegation to the
state, told reporters here.
Paswan, who met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali
Shah Geelani and JKLF leader Yasin Malik on September 20 and
September 21, also demanded that the Armed Forces Special
Powers Act (AFSPA) be withdrawn.
Steps should be taken for holding talks with leaders
within the constitutional framework, he said.
"Separatist leaders should be taken into confidence
and invited for talks unconditionally and those jailed during
the period should be released unconditionally," Paswan said.
He urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to concede the
recommendations of the all-party delegates and try to
implement programmes for the people there in a time-bound
Claiming that the 110 killed during the unrest since
June in the valley were `innocent civilians`, he called for a
high-level probe into the killing of youths and children in a
series of firings since June 11.
He also demanded that the government should pay
compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the bereaved families and
provide a government job to an eligible member from each
Stating that curfew should not continue for days, he
said "people have a common complaint about being harassed and
insulted by security personnel who have their bunkers at
He suggested that educational institutions, medicine
shops and essential services be kept out of the purview of
Immediate steps, he said, should be taken for opening
of educational institutions, hospitals and essential services.
Stating that he felt that unemployment was a big issue
and should be sorted out, he said efforts would have to be
made to instil confidence among the people.
"The visit of the all party delegation has given a ray
of hope to the people," Paswan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof