Paternity suit: ND Tiwari`s cross examination fixed for August 21
New Delhi: The Local Commissioner, appointed by the Delhi High Court earlier, on Monday fixed August 21 for cross examination of veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari on a youth`s paternity suit to declare Tiwari as his biological father.
In January this year, the High Court had appointed Retired Additional District Judge S M Chopra as local commissioner and ordered recording of evidence in the matter on a day-to-day basis.
Chopra, who concluded the cross examination of plaintiff Rohit Shekhar, asked Tiwari to file the affidavit in evidence within four weeks.
"In so far as the Commissioner is concerned, a date is being fixed for cross examination of defendant (Tiwari) after six weeks from today to enable the counsel for the other parties to prepare for the cross examination....," Chopra said and fixed August 21 and 22 for Tiwari`s cross examination.
Meanwhile, the counsel for Tiwari submitted his client has a plan to move an application before the court seeking an order to conduct the cross examination outside Delhi.
Since April, Chopra has been holding regular hearings in the high court complex for the examination of evidence in the case after the counsel for the 88-year-old Congress leader had refused to settle the lawsuit out of the court through mediation, saying there was a possibility that the medical evidence was not hundred percent accurate.
The high court had on July 27 last year read out the DNA report in the case as per which Tiwari was shown as Shekhar`s biological father.
Tiwari`s DNA report had been read out by a single-judge bench of the high court after a division bench dismissed his appeal against the single judge`s July 19 decision, concurring with the latter`s order that the report cannot be kept confidential.
Tiwari, a former Andhra Pradesh Governor, had earlier
made a plea to the single judge for keeping DNA report confidential and holding in-camera proceedings in the case, saying the Supreme Court had given such a direction on May 24, 2012.
The single judge had dismissed Tiwari`s plea against making public his DNA report saying the apex court`s order to maintain confidentiality was for the purpose of collection of his blood sample for the DNA test and the transmission of the report to the high court but not for the purpose of trial.
Tiwari had given blood sample for the DNA test on May 29, 2012 at his residence in Dehradun following the apex court`s order in the case, after repeatedly contesting against undergoing the test on various grounds.
Tiwari`s pleas had been objected to by 32-year-old Rohit Shekhar who had filed the paternity suit in 2008, claiming the veteran Congress leader to be his biological father. Tiwari had refuted Shekhar`s claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27