Patkar against construction of big dams in N-E
Guwahati: Noted environmentalist and
Narmada Bachao Andolan activist Medha Patkar today demanded
that construction of big dams must be stopped in the North
East to save the region from complete destruction.
Addressing a massive rally, organised under the aegis
of the Kisan Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), at the Sonaram Field
here Patkar said the rivers must be saved and "if we want to
save the region from destruction, big dams must be stopped."
Earlier, "the government divided people on the lines of
caste and religion but now they are taking the name of
development," she alleged.
"We also want development but not at the cost of
peoples` lives and livelihood. We want development of rivers,
power, aquatic life and people of living on river banks and
not just of corporate houses and a section of politicians ,"
"Vikash Hobo, Vinash No hobo (We want development and
not destruction)," she asserted in Assamese.
The construction of dams involved scams amounting to
several thousands of crore and some corporate houses and
politicians were allegedly involved in this, she claimed.
She also lauded the role of KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi for
organising the rally and giving a voice to the farmers who
would be the worst affected if dams are constructed on the
Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
Patkar, later, fell ill and was rushed to a hospital,
while leading a protest march from the Sonaram Field to the
Kamrup (Metro) Deputy Commissioner`s office but her condition
was stated to be stable.
Meanwhile, tense situation prevailed near the Deputy
Commissioner`s Office when more than five thousand protestors
gathered to submit a memorandum to the Prime Minister through
the Deputy Commissioner.
The district authorities declared the gathering
illegal and asked the crowd to disperse within ten minutes.
KMSS leader addressing the protesters pointed out that
they had applied for necessary permission for holding a dharna
at the Dispur Last Gate but was denied following they had
sought permission for holding a rally at Sonaram Field and a
protest march which was subsequently granted.
"The people of Assam have lost all faith in the Tarun
Gogoi-led Congress government and will themselves take steps
to stop construction of big dams," the KMSS leader claimed.
The activists dispersed after a novel style of protest
by showing their back to the authorities, spitting
symbolically at them and hurling their shoes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah