Patna blasts: Prime suspect Tarique dead, another sent to police custody

Ainul alias Tarique, a terror suspect who was injured in the Patna blasts, died on Friday at a government hospital.

Updated: Nov 01, 2013, 22:50 PM IST

Zee Media Bureau

Patna: The prime terror suspect in Patna serial blasts, Ainul alias Tarique died in the Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences hospital here on Friday.

Tarique, the second suspect, was apprehended while he was crying in pain at the Patna railway junction toilet soon after a bomb which he was trying to fit with a timer exploded.

Arun Kumar, director of the Patna-based Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, where Ainul was admitted with splinter injuries to his brain, confirmed that he was dead.

"After battling for life for over five days, he succumbed to serious injuries in his brain," Kumar said.

"He had splinters, suspectedly hard iron pieces, in his brain and it was not possible to operate on him in that condition," he said.

Some telephone numbers and documents were recovered from the suspect on the basis of which the entire planning by the terrorists was uncovered, police said.

Meanwhile, Tabish Nyaz alias Arshad Ansari, another suspect in the blasts, was on Friday remanded to police custody for seven days by a district court.

Six of the seven blasts took place at Patna`s Gandhi Maidan on October 27. The seventh explosion was at the railway station.

Mohammad Imtiaz Ansari, a resident of Ranchi, is suspected to be the brain behind the blasts. He was arrested from the Patna railway junction after a bomb exploded in a toilet on platform No 10 Sunday morning.

Multiple blasts rocked the capital of Bihar, ahead of Modi`s rally on Sunday. However, BJP went ahead with the rally. They blamed Nitish government the next day for security lapses. The Bihar CM denied the allegations and said that no specific intelligence inputs had been received by his government.

Six of the seven blasts took place Sunday at Patna`s Gandhi Maidan before Modi was to address a rally. The seventh explosion was at the railway station.

Six people were killed and 83 injured in seven bomb blasts in Patna.