Patna serial blasts: Swami, Chouhan demand more security cover for Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after serial blasts rocked Narendra Modi`s rally venue in Patna, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday demanded more security protection for the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
Swami urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to amend the SPG act to extend its security cover to "principal candidates for the post of Prime Minister in the forthcoming elections in 2014."
In a statement, he alleged that Bihar Government led by Nitish Kumar has wilfully disregarded taking normal precautionary pre-emptive security measures for Modi or covertly abetted the failure of security.
He claimed that Modi could face life-threatening attacks in Congress-ruled states as the party has taken strong exception to Modi addressing Rahul Gandhi as "shehzada".
Chouhan meanwhile said that security of Modi should be intensified in view of serial blasts that took place in Patna shortly before party`s `Hunkar rally`.
"The bomb blasts in Patna are condemnable and there should be an in-depth inquiry into it and those responsible for it should be punished," Chouhan said.
He said "Modi is a popular leader in the country and there should be no loopholes in his security."
Chouhan also questioned Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s comments, where he had claimed that intelligence agencies in Pakistan were approaching some victims of the Muzaffarnagar riots to lure them to terrorism.
Meanwhile, the state chief minister`s Jan Ashirward Yatra, which began from Ujjain on July 22, ended last night in the Rau Assembly constituency of the district.
Chouhan expressed confidence that the BJP would win the Assembly elections (slated next month) for the third time in a row but did not say how many seats the party was likely to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?