Pawan Kumar Bansal will have to go: Samajwadi Party
Zee Media Bureau
Delhi: The Opposition has been gunning for Union Railway Minister after the Railway bribe issue came to the fore. But now, one of Congress’ allies, the Samajwadi Party, which is giving outside support to the UPA government, has also said that Pawan Kumar Bansal must resign from his post.
Senior SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav told the media before going to attend the Parliament on Monday, “It is a serious matter and the government will try to protect the Railway Minister.” “But ultimately Bansal will have to go,” he added.
Yadav also said, “He should have resigned.”
Union Railway Minister has been in the line fire ever since the case of his nephew accepting a bribe for appointment in the railway board came to light. The main Opposition, the BJP, has made it clear that the matter pertaining to Bansal was an ‘open and shut case’ and that his position as the Rail Minister had become untenable.
The party had also lashed out at the Congress for shielding its ministers.
While rebutting the demand of the Opposition asking for Bansal’s resignation, the Congress had said yesterday that any decision on the issue would be taken only after investigations culminate.
The Congress core group met yesterday at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s 7, Race Course Road residence, to discuss the fate of Railways Minister.
CBI had arrested Bansal`s nephew, Vijay Singla, last Friday for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 90 lakh for fixing a top level position in the government. A railway official Mahesh Kumar was also arrested and booked for bribery and the money was seized. Since then more arrests have been made in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'