‘Pawar a valued colleague, NCP an important ally’
New Delhi: In a bid to resolve the stand-off between the Nationalist Congress Party and the Congress, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Friday reached out to the Maratha leader Sharad Pawar and hailed him as a very valued colleague.
Speaking to reporters, Dr Singh said, “Mr Sharad Pawar is a very valued colleague of mine whose knowledge, wisdom and experience are a great asset to our government. His party NCP is an important ally of the ruling UPA coalition led by Congress."
Prime Minister’s remarks came hours after the NCP chief met Congress president Sonia Gandhi
on issues related to the UPA government’s functioning.
However, the NCP leader later maintained that his party will not quit the ruling coalition despite having some issues.
Addressing a press conference later, Pawar’s trusted lieutenant and cabinet colleague Praful Patel said, “The UPA government is entering its last phase before the next General Elections and NCP along with UPA should gear up for 2014. For that government should be more decisive, more committed to the issues which are before the people of the country.”
“…Certainly with the presence of Pawar, a leader of tall stature, the UPA under the able leadership of PM will be able to solve the issues,” Patel said addressing the media after a meeting of the NCP top brass.
“NCP has been a very responsible allay for the last 8 years and has been pillars of strength both inside and outside in functioning of UPA government,” he added.
Patel revealed that his party chief had met Prime Minister Manohan Singh, yesterday; after he sent a communication detailing the issues the NCP wants the government to resolve.
Dismissing suggestions that NCP is resorting to pressure tactics, Patel said that his party has been discussing the matter for quite some time now and had waited for the Presidential elections to end before taking up the issue.
“We would like to state very emphatically that the communication sent to Prime Minister was discussed in our party more than a month ago, but considering the Presidential elections, we chose to send our communication only after voting ended at 5 pm yesterday,” he said, while also stressing, “NCP continues to be a integral part of UPA.”
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!