Pawar briefs PM about drought-like situation in 4 states
New Delhi: Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Tuesday briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the drought- like situation in Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan after his visit to these states last week.
"I have briefed the Prime Minister about the visit. I am sending a status report to him," Pawar told reporters.
The minister also informed that the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) on drought will meet on August 9 to discuss further steps that need to be taken for mitigating the adverse impact of poor rain in these states.
"The situation is still bad in these states. There is problem in Karnataka, Marathwada and central parts of Maharashtra and Saurashtra and Kutch region of Gujarat," said Pawar, who visited the four states last week along with Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh.
Pawar said he had asked these states to give top priority to ensure supply of drinking water and make fodder available for livestock besides saving the standing crops.
The Centre has also suggested that these states work out a scheme for transporting drinking water from available sources. He assured financial support to states in this regard.
"If drinking water is inefficient, we have suggested states to plan up to June-end 2013 for transporting from water sources. The government will share the financial burden. We have agreed in-principle on this issue," Pawar said.
On monsoons situation, the minister said, "First week, we have seen changes for better. There was some rain in the last 2-3 days. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) today briefed me that rain in August will be alright but not very comfortable. Their assessment is the situation will improve."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees