Pawar hugs Ramdev, backs black money campaign
New Delhi: Welcoming Ramdev`s campaign against black money, NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said the yoga guru`s suggestions to tackle the menace were "pragmatic". Pawar`s remarks came after an hour-long meeting with Ramdev here during which the two discussed ways to unearth black money and enact laws that make stashing of cash impossible.
This is a major embarrassment for the Congress, as key UPA ally Sharad Pawar has expressed his support for Baba Ramdev a day after the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi hit out at the civil society for targeting the Prime Minister.
"Ramdev made suggestions like enacting such tax laws that do not make a person necessary to hide his wealth. Such wealth can be used for various development purposes," Pawar told reporters after meeting the yoga guru.
The Union minister said he did not "smell politics" in Ramdev`s campaign as he has announced that he will meet leaders of all political parties ranging from Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat to AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
"He (Ramdev) has said he will meet responsible leaders in all the states and important persons who take key decisions.
“He has done one good thing that he has not spoken of any one party. He has talked about all parties and we liked this approach," Pawar said.
Pawar is among the 15 Union ministers against whom Team Anna has leveled allegations of corruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi