Pawar hugs Ramdev, backs black money campaign
New Delhi: Welcoming Ramdev`s campaign against black money, NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said the yoga guru`s suggestions to tackle the menace were "pragmatic". Pawar`s remarks came after an hour-long meeting with Ramdev here during which the two discussed ways to unearth black money and enact laws that make stashing of cash impossible.
This is a major embarrassment for the Congress, as key UPA ally Sharad Pawar has expressed his support for Baba Ramdev a day after the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi hit out at the civil society for targeting the Prime Minister.
"Ramdev made suggestions like enacting such tax laws that do not make a person necessary to hide his wealth. Such wealth can be used for various development purposes," Pawar told reporters after meeting the yoga guru.
The Union minister said he did not "smell politics" in Ramdev`s campaign as he has announced that he will meet leaders of all political parties ranging from Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat to AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
"He (Ramdev) has said he will meet responsible leaders in all the states and important persons who take key decisions.
“He has done one good thing that he has not spoken of any one party. He has talked about all parties and we liked this approach," Pawar said.
Pawar is among the 15 Union ministers against whom Team Anna has leveled allegations of corruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'