Pawar hugs Ramdev, backs black money campaign
New Delhi: Welcoming Ramdev`s campaign against black money, NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said the yoga guru`s suggestions to tackle the menace were "pragmatic". Pawar`s remarks came after an hour-long meeting with Ramdev here during which the two discussed ways to unearth black money and enact laws that make stashing of cash impossible.
This is a major embarrassment for the Congress, as key UPA ally Sharad Pawar has expressed his support for Baba Ramdev a day after the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi hit out at the civil society for targeting the Prime Minister.
"Ramdev made suggestions like enacting such tax laws that do not make a person necessary to hide his wealth. Such wealth can be used for various development purposes," Pawar told reporters after meeting the yoga guru.
The Union minister said he did not "smell politics" in Ramdev`s campaign as he has announced that he will meet leaders of all political parties ranging from Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat to AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
"He (Ramdev) has said he will meet responsible leaders in all the states and important persons who take key decisions.
“He has done one good thing that he has not spoken of any one party. He has talked about all parties and we liked this approach," Pawar said.
Pawar is among the 15 Union ministers against whom Team Anna has leveled allegations of corruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh