Pawar-led team to visit 4 drought-affected states from Aug 1
New Delhi: Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar will lead a team to drought-affected areas in four states-Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat and Rajasthan - during August 1-3 to assess the rain deficit and water scarcity situation.
"The meeting will be held with the Chief Ministers of the affected states and will review the rainfall deficiency and its impact on kharif crops, water and fodder availability," a senior Agriculture Ministry official said.
The Agriculture Minister will first visit Maharashtra on August 1 and later Karnataka on August 2. He will hold meetings in Gujarat and Rajasthan on August 3, the official said.
The central team will comprise of 10-12 members including agriculture secretary, animal husbandry secretary and rural development secretary, the official added.
While the all-India average of rainfall deficiency is 21 per cent, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan are worst affected regions.
Different regions in Karnataka have seen rain deficiency between 21 per cent to 44 per cent with the maximum impact felt in South interior parts of the state.
Western Rajasthan has received 64 per cent less rainfall in the season, Saurashtra and Kutch regions in Gujarat are short by 78 per cent so far, according to weather office data.
Due to deficient rains, the Karnataka government has declared drought in 142 taluks and has also announced Rs 3,500 crore package to mitigate farmers` suffering.
Sowing of pulses and coarse cereals (like maize, jowar and bajra) has been affected the most. Although paddy area is also down by 18 lakh hectares so far, there is still hope that shortfall will be made up as paddy season extends till August.
The government has conceded that production in 2012-13 would be lower than the last year`s record output.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door