Pawar must step down from Centre: Thackeray
Yavatmal: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray has urged Union Agriculture Minister and NCP supremo Sharad Pawar to resign from the Union cabinet and come to the state to protect the interest of farmers reeling under drought.
After visiting the house of farmer Gajanan Ghotekar, who recently committed suicide and blamed the Congress and NCP for the plight of farmers in a suicide note, Thackeray told mediapersons here yesterday that he has appealed to the farmers not to vote for NCP and Congress.
Uddhav met the family members of the deceased and though he did not offer any instant financial assistance, he promised to bear the expenses of his kids` education.
The suicide note had attracted media attention after Sena chief Bal Thackeray criticised the government regarding the issue, in his party mouthpiece `Saamna`.
"Sharad Pawar ignores the farmers of Maharashtra while in the State but arranges farmers? rally in New Delhi and speaks in favour of them," Thackarey said, adding that Pawar should resign from his ministerial post first and take the farmers? issues to the street and fight for their cause.
On the controversial lower Paingananga irrigation project in Yavatmal, he said he had received a representation from anti-project activists and added that he has instructed the local Shiv Sena leaders to conduct an on-the-spot study and report back to him.
On the Jaitapur Power Project, Thackeray said he was not against any project, but stands with the affected people as the project generates energy and it would be sold elsewhere which is not acceptable.
"Those who are lobbying for the project in Jaitapur at the cost of the poor people, they should set up the project elsewhere and we would buy the power from there," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?