Pawar to hold `stock-taking` meeting on LS poll preparations
Mumbai: As a part of preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, NCP president and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has called a two-day meeting to review the political situation in the 22 constituencies where the party had fielded candidates in 2009.
NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said Pawar will take a stock of the situation in these constituencies and decide the party`s course of action.
When asked whether NCP will demand 24 seats this time (two more) out of the total 48 Lok Sabha seats from the state, Malik said it will be decided afterwards. "Similarly, any decision on swapping of constituencies (with ally Congress) will be taken after the two-day meeting," he said.
When asked if candidatures of senior NCP leaders for Lok Sabha would be announced, Malik said the meeting will focus only on reviewing the local political scenarios.
He said NCP will remain in UPA. "Though UPA is shrinking with DMK and TMC quitting for their political compulsions, NCP will remain in the UPA."
Saying that UPA, with the outside support, has majority in Lok Sabha, he said until it lost this majority, there was no possibility of mid-term polls and (even) BJP did not want early elections.
All the eight Lok Sabha MPs of NCP including Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule, and six Rajya Sabha MPs will be present at the meeting tomorrow, to be held at `Devgiri`, the official residence of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar. Union Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel and state NCP ministers will also be present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read