Pawar to hold `stock-taking` meeting on LS poll preparations
Mumbai: As a part of preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, NCP president and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has called a two-day meeting to review the political situation in the 22 constituencies where the party had fielded candidates in 2009.
NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said Pawar will take a stock of the situation in these constituencies and decide the party`s course of action.
When asked whether NCP will demand 24 seats this time (two more) out of the total 48 Lok Sabha seats from the state, Malik said it will be decided afterwards. "Similarly, any decision on swapping of constituencies (with ally Congress) will be taken after the two-day meeting," he said.
When asked if candidatures of senior NCP leaders for Lok Sabha would be announced, Malik said the meeting will focus only on reviewing the local political scenarios.
He said NCP will remain in UPA. "Though UPA is shrinking with DMK and TMC quitting for their political compulsions, NCP will remain in the UPA."
Saying that UPA, with the outside support, has majority in Lok Sabha, he said until it lost this majority, there was no possibility of mid-term polls and (even) BJP did not want early elections.
All the eight Lok Sabha MPs of NCP including Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule, and six Rajya Sabha MPs will be present at the meeting tomorrow, to be held at `Devgiri`, the official residence of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar. Union Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel and state NCP ministers will also be present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm