Payoff allegations ‘baseless’: Satish Sharma
New Delhi: Congress Member of Parliament Satish Sharma, who is in the eye of a storm after WikiLeaks cables claimed that he had paid a role in paying-off opposition MPs to ensure the victory of UPA government during the 2008 trust vote, Thursday denied any role in the entire episode.
The set of communiqués, or cables, between US diplomatic officials show that they were assured by Nachiketa Kapur, an alleged aide of Satish Sharma that the party had gathered about Rs 50-60 crores to buy out votes to allow the Indo-US nuclear deal since the Left lawmakers had withdrawn support opposing the deal.
Speaking to reporters, a visibly livid Sharma said that similar allegations were made against him earlier in the JMM MPs cash-for-vote case but he had come clean after a criminal trial.
“This is all nonsense, neither was money paid then, no money has been paid now,” he said.
“I have read the whole article (as published in a English daily), it is based on so called my political aide (Nachiketa Kapur). He was never my political aide
On his part, Kapur has also denied the charges.
"I vehemently deny the malicious allegations. There was no cash," Nachiketa Kapur told a news channel.
He added that he would file defamation case if he came to know of the US official who named him.
"I only know Sharma, I never worked for him," he said.
Meanwhile, in the Parliament, the Opposition attacked the government with all ferocity and demanded that Prime Minister explain his view on the episode to the House.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Parliament today that the present government at the Centre is not accountable to the 14th Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder