Payoff allegations ‘baseless’: Satish Sharma
New Delhi: Congress Member of Parliament Satish Sharma, who is in the eye of a storm after WikiLeaks cables claimed that he had paid a role in paying-off opposition MPs to ensure the victory of UPA government during the 2008 trust vote, Thursday denied any role in the entire episode.
The set of communiqués, or cables, between US diplomatic officials show that they were assured by Nachiketa Kapur, an alleged aide of Satish Sharma that the party had gathered about Rs 50-60 crores to buy out votes to allow the Indo-US nuclear deal since the Left lawmakers had withdrawn support opposing the deal.
Speaking to reporters, a visibly livid Sharma said that similar allegations were made against him earlier in the JMM MPs cash-for-vote case but he had come clean after a criminal trial.
“This is all nonsense, neither was money paid then, no money has been paid now,” he said.
“I have read the whole article (as published in a English daily), it is based on so called my political aide (Nachiketa Kapur). He was never my political aide
On his part, Kapur has also denied the charges.
"I vehemently deny the malicious allegations. There was no cash," Nachiketa Kapur told a news channel.
He added that he would file defamation case if he came to know of the US official who named him.
"I only know Sharma, I never worked for him," he said.
Meanwhile, in the Parliament, the Opposition attacked the government with all ferocity and demanded that Prime Minister explain his view on the episode to the House.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Parliament today that the present government at the Centre is not accountable to the 14th Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends