PC as telecom EGOM head will be `cruel joke` on nation: BJP
New Delhi: Reacting to reports that Home Minister P Chidambaram may be appointed as head of the EGOM on telecom, the BJP today said, this is a "cruel joke" on the nation and goes against the Prime Minister`s claim of maintaining a high level of integrity.
"There are reports about the likely appointment of Chidambaram as head of the EGOM on telecom. There has been no denial from the government. This flies in the face of Prime Minister`s statement yesterday that he maintains a high level of integrity," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
He demanded that the Prime Minister should explain how this move to appoint Chidambaram goes in accordance with his claim.
"The Prime Minister had said in Parliament that the pricing of spectrum was decided after the meeting between then Telecom Minister A Raja and Chidambaram," Prasad said.
Chidambaram had taken this decision on spectrum pricing at 2001-rate despite his officials advising him against this.
Prasad said that Raja has claimed that Chidambaram should also be questioned while some feel he should be made a co-accused.
"How can Chidambaram be even remotely considered for EGOM and he should be a co-accused with Raja," Prasad asserted.
He described this as a "cruel joke" on the nation and alleged that the government has set aside constitutional propriety, Parliamentary accountability and political integrity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming