PC as telecom EGOM head will be `cruel joke` on nation: BJP
New Delhi: Reacting to reports that Home Minister P Chidambaram may be appointed as head of the EGOM on telecom, the BJP today said, this is a "cruel joke" on the nation and goes against the Prime Minister`s claim of maintaining a high level of integrity.
"There are reports about the likely appointment of Chidambaram as head of the EGOM on telecom. There has been no denial from the government. This flies in the face of Prime Minister`s statement yesterday that he maintains a high level of integrity," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
He demanded that the Prime Minister should explain how this move to appoint Chidambaram goes in accordance with his claim.
"The Prime Minister had said in Parliament that the pricing of spectrum was decided after the meeting between then Telecom Minister A Raja and Chidambaram," Prasad said.
Chidambaram had taken this decision on spectrum pricing at 2001-rate despite his officials advising him against this.
Prasad said that Raja has claimed that Chidambaram should also be questioned while some feel he should be made a co-accused.
"How can Chidambaram be even remotely considered for EGOM and he should be a co-accused with Raja," Prasad asserted.
He described this as a "cruel joke" on the nation and alleged that the government has set aside constitutional propriety, Parliamentary accountability and political integrity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply