PCI Chairman for Bharat Ratna to Ghalib
New Delhi: Press Council chief Justice
Markandey Katju on Saturday suggested Bharat Ratna for noted Urdu
poet Mirza Ghalib, saying there is no "fitter" person than him
to whom the award can be bestowed.
"I had made this appeal in the Mushaira organised by
Jashn-Bahaar, and my appeal had been endorsed by prominent
persons in the audience like Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar,
Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Chief Election Officer S Y
Quraishi and others," he said.
Stating that Bharat Ratna has been awarded posthumously
several times in the past, he said "in my opinion there is no
fitter person to whom the award can be given than Mirza
Ghalib, who is one of the foremost figures representing our
He also appealed to all Urdu lovers to appeal to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh to recommend Bharat Ratna for the Urdu
Katju`s suggestion follows the government`s move to amend
rules to pave way for sports-persons to be eligible for the
country`s highest civilian honour.
"By awarding Bharat Ratna to Mirza Ghalib, we will not
be honouring Ghalib but ourselves," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video