PCI Chairman for Bharat Ratna to Ghalib
New Delhi: Press Council chief Justice
Markandey Katju on Saturday suggested Bharat Ratna for noted Urdu
poet Mirza Ghalib, saying there is no "fitter" person than him
to whom the award can be bestowed.
"I had made this appeal in the Mushaira organised by
Jashn-Bahaar, and my appeal had been endorsed by prominent
persons in the audience like Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar,
Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Chief Election Officer S Y
Quraishi and others," he said.
Stating that Bharat Ratna has been awarded posthumously
several times in the past, he said "in my opinion there is no
fitter person to whom the award can be given than Mirza
Ghalib, who is one of the foremost figures representing our
He also appealed to all Urdu lovers to appeal to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh to recommend Bharat Ratna for the Urdu
Katju`s suggestion follows the government`s move to amend
rules to pave way for sports-persons to be eligible for the
country`s highest civilian honour.
"By awarding Bharat Ratna to Mirza Ghalib, we will not
be honouring Ghalib but ourselves," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India