PC`s remarks ‘disruptive of federal set-up’: BJP
New Delhi: Dubbing the statement of Home
Minister P Chidambaram on Gujarat government`s action against
some IPS officers, who are at loggerheads with it on
post-Godhra riots, as "fairly disruptive of the federal
set-up", BJP on Friday said the Centre was "not a big brother"
which can interfere in state matters.
"BJP takes a very strong view of the statement that the
Home Minister has made in context of the police officers in
Gujarat. I think his view is clearly disruptive of the federal
set up of the Indian governance," Leader of the Opposition in
the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters here.
He said Gujarat government was free to take action
against policemen who face serious allegations.
"If officers of a state government are indulging in any
indiscipline, it is for the state government to deal with
them. The central government is not the big brother that can
intervene in these matters," Jaitley said, adding BJP has
"serious objections" to Chidambaram`s statement.
Earlier in the day, Chidambaram expressed concern over
Gujarat government`s action against two senior IPS men locked
in a confrontation with it over post-Godhra riots and said it
can intervene if the affected officers want so.
"It is a matter of concern," Chidambaram said when asked
whether the Centre was concerned with the tug of war between
the police officers of Gujarat and the state goverment over
the 2002 riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!