Pelosi invites PM to address US Congress
Washington: US House of Representatives
Speaker Nancy Pelosi has invited Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
to address the US Congress on his next visit here, as she
thanked India for extending hospitality to Tibetan spiritual
leader the Dalai Lama.
"We hope that you will come back soon again, and I extend
an invitation for you to address a Joint Session of the
Congress when you come back — about our strategic partnership
and how we go into the future," Pelosi said in a joint press
availability with Singh before their meeting here.
"Also I want to thank India for the hospitality it
extends to His Holiness the Dalai Lama," she said, terming
India a country that is based on values.
Pelosi said she looked forward to a conversation with the
Prime Minister on how the US-India relationship can be
strengthened as also to hear his views on "Afghanistan, Iran
and fighting terrorism".
"As the Prime Minister has told us again on this trip, it
is time for us to have a new dynamic while we talk about
economies that recognise that alleviation of poverty is
central to all of our success," she said.
"It is a sign of our friendship that the red carpet is
being rolled out from the White House to the Capitol and in
between to welcome this truly great man, perhaps one of the
most respected leaders in the world," Pelosi said.
Pelosi, who travelled to India in March, said she had had
conversation with Singh on issues like climate change, economy
and about fighting terrorism and other issues of concern.
"It gave me the opportunity to once again express the
admiration that Americans have for India, our close
relationship with Reverend Martin Luther King, taking his lead
from Mahatma Gandhi in learning about non-violence and how it
produced results," she said.
Referring to the "terrible loss in Mumbai" last year,
Pelosi said: "We are gathered here to learn from that
experience to see how we can work more closely together for
the good of all the people of the world, in our country, and
in India as well".
The Prime Minister said Pelosi is a living embodiment of
the values and the ideals which inspire Mahatma Gandhi.
Singh said he hopes to give a "new meaning" and "trust"
to the Indo-US strategic partnership during this visit.
"I know the important role that the Speaker of the House
of Representatives plays in the body politic of this great
country... so I am very happy to have the Madam`s blessings
and support in the task," he said.
The Prime Minister said he is in the US at the invitation
of the President, to strengthen in every possible way the
multi-faceted relationship developed over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda