Pendency of cases bound to increase: CJI
Hyderabad: Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Saturday said that pendency of cases, in various courts, is "bound" to increase as the strength of judicial officers remains static.
He also stressed the need to effectively tap mediation as one of the methods of alternate dispute resolution, lamenting that the mechanism was not given due importance to bring down pendency of cases in courts.
"Mediation as an alternative dispute resolution mechanism can help in reducing the pendency of cases in the courts...Without this (alternate dispute mechanism) the entire legal system--the legal infrastructure--that we have is going to have problems," Justice Kabir said after inaugurating the Hyderabad Mediation Centre at Nyaya Seva Sadan here.
"...Unfortunately mediation as one of the methods of alternate dispute resolution was not given very much importance," he said.
The Chief Justice said the inadequate number of judicial officers will further compound the problem of pending litigations.
"With increase in population, there have been a large number of cases piled up in the courts. Litigation is bound to increase, however, at the same time the number of judicial officers remains static," he said, adding the number of judge in India is amongst the lowest in the world.
"We have about 15 judges approximately for one million of our citizens. This problem is not something new and confined to India alone, but being faced by all the major democracies in the world," Justice Kabir said.
The Hyderabad Mediation Centre will take up pre-litigation and post-litigation cases covering all types of civil and compoundable criminal cases.
Addressing the gathering, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said the state government had recently sanctioned 120 permanent courts.
Minister for Law and Justice E Prathap Reddy and Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court Pinaki Chandra Ghose and other dignitaries also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced