‘Pending cases in lower courts matter of concern’
Amritsar: Pendency of cases in lower courts is taking its toll on the timely dispensation of justice as a judge who is supposed to hear around 500 cases in a month is having over 5,000 cases with him, a Supreme Court judge said here on Saturday.
"A judge who is supposed to hear 500 cases in a month is
having above 5000 cases with him leading to the pendency,"
justice DK Jain.
Justice Jain talked about the pendency of cases in courts
at all levels, especially at district levels, and attributed
this to the lack of sufficient infrastructure and budget.
He said the Supreme Court too was worried over the
backlog and they were taking steps to make sure that justice
is delivered on time.
Justice Jain along with Punjab and Haryana High Court
Judge, Justice Jasbir Singh, presided over the annual 105th
Convocation of Khalsa College here today.
Justice Jain also expressed serious concern over the
spread of drug menace in Punjab which, he said, was playing
havoc with the society at large.
He said Punjab`s border with Pakistan is a major reason
for drug proliferation and stressed on legal, societal and
administrative measures to stem the tide.
"A multi-pronged strategy is required to tackle the
problem and we want more cooperation from state governments to
deal with the situation," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read