People disillusioned by MPs` behaviour: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday urged MPs to do some introspection because their conduct was creating a sense of "frustration and disillusionment" among the people.
"The manner in which we have conducted our affairs...has created a sense of frustration and disillusionment among the people," Manmohan Singh said, addressing the Lok Sabha on the day Indian parliament completed its 60 years.
Manmohan Singh lamented frequent disruptions in the houses that blocked many key legislations and also led to hundreds of business hours being wasted every time parliament was in session.
"The daily routine of disruptions, adjournments and shouting in the house are leading many to question the efficacy of this institution," Manmohan Singh said.
He urged MPs to think over their conduct "as we look ahead, this occasion should also become the moment for some candid and serious introspection".
"I am optimistic that the innate wisdom of our people and the strength of our democratic institutions will guide us on the right path," the prime minister said.
He said his government had empowered citizens by providing them the rights to information, education and minimum employment.
"What the constitution envisioned, parliament translated into action...But this is an unfinished agenda," he said, adding more needed to done by lawmakers to realise the dreams of the framers of the constitution.
Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha Sunday held a special sitting to commemorate the day when parliament sat for the first time May 13, 1952.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report