People have a right to seek employment anywhere: Shinde
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of MNS chief Raj Thackeray threatening to throw Biharis out of Maharashtra, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Monday said people have a right to seek employment anywhere in the country.
"Everybody has a right to go anywhere and seek employment," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
On Thackeray targeting certain news channels, he said, "It is not fair to target media. At times media criticises people and it should be accepted."
Known for his stand against people from Bihar who go to Maharashtra, especially Mumbai, to seek employment, Thackeray had last week threatened to brand them as infiltrators.
Thackeray had also accused Hindi news channels of "distorting" his statement. "I want to tell the Hindi news channel to first understand the issue before it is broadcast...Otherwise we know how to deal with it," he had said.
Reacting to his statements, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had yesterday lashed out at the Maharashtra government for not taking action against the MNS chief for his threat to Biharis.
"It is the duty of the central government and the government of the state (Maharashtra) to take note of the conduct of a person like Thackeray and deal sternly with such elements," Kumar had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez