People have a right to seek employment anywhere: Shinde
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of MNS chief Raj Thackeray threatening to throw Biharis out of Maharashtra, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Monday said people have a right to seek employment anywhere in the country.
"Everybody has a right to go anywhere and seek employment," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
On Thackeray targeting certain news channels, he said, "It is not fair to target media. At times media criticises people and it should be accepted."
Known for his stand against people from Bihar who go to Maharashtra, especially Mumbai, to seek employment, Thackeray had last week threatened to brand them as infiltrators.
Thackeray had also accused Hindi news channels of "distorting" his statement. "I want to tell the Hindi news channel to first understand the issue before it is broadcast...Otherwise we know how to deal with it," he had said.
Reacting to his statements, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had yesterday lashed out at the Maharashtra government for not taking action against the MNS chief for his threat to Biharis.
"It is the duty of the central government and the government of the state (Maharashtra) to take note of the conduct of a person like Thackeray and deal sternly with such elements," Kumar had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?