People in live-in can`t complain of infidelity: HC
New Delhi: A partner in a live-in
relationship can walk out of it without any legal consequence
and people cannot complain of infidelity of partners if one of
them ditches the other, the Delhi high Court said today.
"Live-in relationship is a walk-in and walk-out
relationship. There are no strings attached to this
relationship nor does this relationship creates any legal bond
between the parties," Justice S N Dhingra said while quashing
criminal proceedings initiated by a woman against her
live-in partner after he refused to marry her.
"People who chose to have live-in relationship cannot
complain of infidelity or immorality as live-in relationships
are also known to have been between a married man and
unmarried woman or between married woman and unmarried man,"
the court said.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by a
London-based lawyer, against whom a criminal complaint was
filed by a lady with whom he had live-in relationship, seeking
to quash proceeding against him.
The petitioner, Alok Kumar, submitted that he refused to
marry the woman as his parents were against the relationship.
Granting relief to Kumar, the court said the FIR should
be quashed to prevent misuse of criminal justice system for
personal vengeance of a partner of live-in relationship.
"It is a contract of living together which is renewed
everyday by the parties and can be terminated by either of the
parties without consent of the other party and one party can
walk out at will at any time," the court said
"Those who do not want to enter into this kind of
relationship of walk-in and walk-out, they enter into a
relationship of marriage where the bond between the parties
has legal implications and obligations and cannot be broken by
either party at will," the court said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case