People say India`s success story is over, but BJP does not agree: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Launching a strident criticism of the economic policies of the ruling UPA regime here on Saturday, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh said that when the National Democratic Alliance was in power between 1998 and 2004, India`s current account was in surplus.
"Now, the people are saying that the Indian success story is over (under the UPA regime)," he said.
"But I am saying that no, the Indian success story isn`t over. It is waiting for the BJP to come to power," he added.
Singh was addressing an inaugural meeting of the BJP`s National Council here.
"Congress wants a weak,not a strong and stable government at the Centre. Congress maybe of the opinion that if the BJP comes to power with a clear majority,it will raise a question on their existence forever," said Singh.
The BJP on Saturday kicked off its two day National Council meet, which aims to chalk out a strategy for the upcoming general elections.
"The two day meeting will move forward with our pledge to deliver good governance and Mission Modi. Other than this, the economic and political problems in the country will be discussed in the meeting," said BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi .
"Leaders and workers from all over the country are attending this meet and they will be taking a pledge that the country has to be made free of the Congress`s misrule," he added.
The BJP top brass is expected to focus on chalking out strategy for winning 272 plus seats in the next general elections.
Senior party leaders, including LK Advani, Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley and Murli Manohar Joshi, besides chief ministers of all BJP-ruled states are attending the meeting.
The meeting will pass two resolutions - one political and the other economic.
The BJP is also likely to discuss issues related to social, political, economic and internal security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming