People `somewhat disillusioned` with BJP: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani has said the mood of the people is against the Congress and simultaneously disillusioned with his party.
He faulted the party`s handling of Karnataka affairs in the wake of corruption allegations against the then Chief Minister Y S Yeddyurappa in 2010, in a veiled criticism of Nitin Gadkari who was the party president at that time.
"In the last few years, I have been feeling distressed to find that while the current mood of the people is against the present ruling party, they are simultaneously somewhat disillusioned with even the BJP," Advani told a news magazine in an interview.
Underlining that BJP is "expected to have zero tolerance towards corruption", the former Deputy Prime Minister said, "The manner in which we actually wrangled in Karnataka disappointed me."
He did not elaborate but was clearly referring to the dilly-dallying by the party high command on removing Yeddyurappa after the corruption allegations against him cropped up.
Yeddyurappa, whose government was the first by BJP in any southern state, was finally forced to quit as Chief minister months after the allegations against him surfaced.
Referring to the BJP Conclave held here last week, Advani said he had "become very emotional" and was "sad" at the public disillusionment with his party.
At the same time, the BJP veteran said he was "optimistic" about the party`s future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’