People `somewhat disillusioned` with BJP: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani has said the mood of the people is against the Congress and simultaneously disillusioned with his party.
He faulted the party`s handling of Karnataka affairs in the wake of corruption allegations against the then Chief Minister Y S Yeddyurappa in 2010, in a veiled criticism of Nitin Gadkari who was the party president at that time.
"In the last few years, I have been feeling distressed to find that while the current mood of the people is against the present ruling party, they are simultaneously somewhat disillusioned with even the BJP," Advani told a news magazine in an interview.
Underlining that BJP is "expected to have zero tolerance towards corruption", the former Deputy Prime Minister said, "The manner in which we actually wrangled in Karnataka disappointed me."
He did not elaborate but was clearly referring to the dilly-dallying by the party high command on removing Yeddyurappa after the corruption allegations against him cropped up.
Yeddyurappa, whose government was the first by BJP in any southern state, was finally forced to quit as Chief minister months after the allegations against him surfaced.
Referring to the BJP Conclave held here last week, Advani said he had "become very emotional" and was "sad" at the public disillusionment with his party.
At the same time, the BJP veteran said he was "optimistic" about the party`s future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars