People `somewhat disillusioned` with BJP: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani has said the mood of the people is against the Congress and simultaneously disillusioned with his party.
He faulted the party`s handling of Karnataka affairs in the wake of corruption allegations against the then Chief Minister Y S Yeddyurappa in 2010, in a veiled criticism of Nitin Gadkari who was the party president at that time.
"In the last few years, I have been feeling distressed to find that while the current mood of the people is against the present ruling party, they are simultaneously somewhat disillusioned with even the BJP," Advani told a news magazine in an interview.
Underlining that BJP is "expected to have zero tolerance towards corruption", the former Deputy Prime Minister said, "The manner in which we actually wrangled in Karnataka disappointed me."
He did not elaborate but was clearly referring to the dilly-dallying by the party high command on removing Yeddyurappa after the corruption allegations against him cropped up.
Yeddyurappa, whose government was the first by BJP in any southern state, was finally forced to quit as Chief minister months after the allegations against him surfaced.
Referring to the BJP Conclave held here last week, Advani said he had "become very emotional" and was "sad" at the public disillusionment with his party.
At the same time, the BJP veteran said he was "optimistic" about the party`s future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers