People `somewhat disillusioned` with BJP: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani has said the mood of the people is against the Congress and simultaneously disillusioned with his party.
He faulted the party`s handling of Karnataka affairs in the wake of corruption allegations against the then Chief Minister Y S Yeddyurappa in 2010, in a veiled criticism of Nitin Gadkari who was the party president at that time.
"In the last few years, I have been feeling distressed to find that while the current mood of the people is against the present ruling party, they are simultaneously somewhat disillusioned with even the BJP," Advani told a news magazine in an interview.
Underlining that BJP is "expected to have zero tolerance towards corruption", the former Deputy Prime Minister said, "The manner in which we actually wrangled in Karnataka disappointed me."
He did not elaborate but was clearly referring to the dilly-dallying by the party high command on removing Yeddyurappa after the corruption allegations against him cropped up.
Yeddyurappa, whose government was the first by BJP in any southern state, was finally forced to quit as Chief minister months after the allegations against him surfaced.
Referring to the BJP Conclave held here last week, Advani said he had "become very emotional" and was "sad" at the public disillusionment with his party.
At the same time, the BJP veteran said he was "optimistic" about the party`s future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video