People supporting Sep 20 shutdown: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP Monday said its call for a nation wide shutdown Sep 20 against the UPA government`s decision to hike diesel price, allow foreign equity in retail as well as corruption was getting spontaneous support of the people.
"The government`s recent decision allowing FDI has shaken the conscience of the nation," Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters here.
He said the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government had a dismal record of creating new employment opportunities and the FDI decision will adversely impact industrial jobs.
"The NDA (NationaL Democratic Alliance) government created eight million jobs per year but in UPA, it is not even two million," he said.
The BJP questioned the government`s contention that states were free to choose whether to allow FDI in multi-brand retail and said the central government had entered into bilateral investment agreements with 82 countries which entails giving national treatment to foreign investors.
"The effect of this provision is that government cannot put conditions on foreign investors which is not applicable to domestic investors," said Javadekar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing