People take out `Maharally` supporting Hazare
New Delhi: Rallying behind Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption, thousands of people on Sunday marched a distance of five kilometres from India Gate to Ramlila Maidan, the venue of the Gandhian`s indefinite fast demanding a strong Lokpal.
All roads led to India Gate, located in the centre of the national capital, as people converged at 5 PM for a `Maharally` to Ramlila Maidan, shouting slogans supporting the `Campaign Against Corruption`.
Slogans supporting Anna Hazare and opposing the Government`s Lokpal Bill could be heard all along the way as people marched peacefully from India Gate via Tilak Marg, ITO to reach Ramlila Maidan.
Team Anna members Swami Agnivesh and Kiran Bedi joined thousands of people at the India Gate and led the rally.
Delhiites were not alone in the endeavour as people from neighbouring states like Punjab, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh too joined in the long march to send a strong message to the Government.
"I want a corruption-free India. I had to pay a bribe of 10,000 rupees to get my tractor loan sanctioned. Why should I pay this money?," asked Kanwal Preet, a farmer who travelled all the away from Sangrur district of Punjab to attend the rally.
"We come from one of the most backward parts of the country. We stand with Anna to prove that we stand behind him," said Yogesh, a student from Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh, waving a flag displaying "Bundelkhand with Anna."
"I had a plan for Sunday. But once I heard about this rally, I decided to take part in this as I want to express my support to Hazare`s campaign against corruption. This is the best way to tell the government that people are with Hazare," Anish Antony, a software professional, said. People shouted slogans and chanted patriotic songs to keep the spirits high.
A goodwill gesture was also visible with public volunteering for each other, offering drinking water to the needy en-route.
People from all walks of life, including kids, teens, youth and the elderly marched together all the way to take part in Anna`s fast at Ramlila Maidan.
Kiran Bedi, an active member of Team Anna and Swami Agnivesh also joined the rally at India Gate.
Social networking sites like Facebook and Google Plus were abuzz with messages that a grand rally will be organised at India Gate this evening. The messages also asked people to come out in large numbers.
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Tamil Nadu polls: Branding Congress, AIADMK, DMK as corrupt, Amit Shah seeks mandate for BJP
- Delhi govt approves proposal to set up memorial on APJ Abdul Kalam at Dilli Haat
- IPL 2016: Andre Russell four-for guides Kolkata Knight Riders to 7-run win over Kings XI Punjab
- Heated debate takes place in Rajya Sabha on VVIP chopper deal: Top quotes
- 'Catastrophic wildfires' force thousands to flee in Canada